After 3 years of development, and a pretty massive rewrite, we’ve released Django Evolution 2.0.
Django Evolution is an add-on for Django that helps developer make and maintain changes to the schema of the database.
This is similar to (and predates) Django’s own migrations support, but allows for faster database upgrades and supports older versions of Django. It’s better suited for the needs of self-installable web applications (such as Review Board) that may go years between upgrades and need to minimize the amount of downtime.
This new major release of Django Evolution introduces:
- Support for Python 2.7 and 3.5 through 3.8
- Support Django 1.6 through 3.1
- Full management of both evolutions and Django’s migrations, using the evolve command
- Superior compatibility with a range of versions of SQLite, MySQL, MariaDB, and Postgres
- Full API for fine-tune control of evolutions (useful for apps with extensions, or installers that manage an app’s database)
There’s also all-new documentation, and a full breakdown of the changes in the release notes.